iRPG

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for our misadventures!

2 posters

The Subtle Knife

Mr.Hero
    Mr.Hero
    Admin

The Subtle Knife - Page 3 Empty Re: The Subtle Knife

Post  Mr.Hero Thu May 16, 2013 1:37 pm

Well, he told me that there was a building made of dark stone to the north east of town. I've found the bridge and the inn and thought for a moment that this inn was perhaps the building he spoke of. But he said that the building was small. So I'm simply curious where this building actually is.
    Bort
    Bort
    Admin

Post  Bort Fri May 17, 2013 12:43 am

The bartender gives you a strange look. Well north east of Bartopia is still a little ways away from here. The Bartender grabs a piece of parchment and a pencil and draws a quick map. [Only admins are allowed to see this link]

Here is the river and the bridge. Down here is Bartopia and right here is this inn. Just keep following the road south if you want to get into Bartopia. There is an eastern road north of the city which is probably what you are looking for. Mostly forest as you get farther away from Bartopia and the main road.
    Mr.Hero
    Mr.Hero
    Admin

Post  Mr.Hero Fri May 17, 2013 11:10 am

Thank you very much, you've been most helpful!
    He downs his ale,wipes his mouth, and takes another puff of his pipe
    Well, I believe I'm off to bed to recuperate. Farewell bartender!
    Sid makes his way back to his room. He enters and locks the door behind him. Setting his belongings by his bedside, he puts out his pipe, removes his boots and cloak and gets into the bed.

[Sid begins an extended rest]
    Bort
    Bort
    Admin

Post  Bort Fri May 17, 2013 4:35 pm

Sid has a very restful night, despite the fact that the room is slightly bare, it is still very cozy, and despite the fact that the mattress is somewhat thin and slightly lumpy, Sid still sleeps wonderfully. And even though it seems as if there is a small insect inside the mattress, it does not bother Sid and he slept peacefully. And even though the ceiling is honestly quite unattractive, Sid's eyes did not notice as they were closed while he had a relaxing sleep. And even though people were moving around outside of his room in the wee hours of the morning, Sid still maintained a a tranquil ambiance in his room. And even though as the sun rose a rooster could be heard cockle doodling in the distance, Sid was unaware due to his sedated state. And despite the fact that a large crash was heard at one moment as if a large dish had been dropped relatively nearby, Sid was blissfully unaware due to his completely untroubled slumber. In fact, his sleep was so nice that many would claim that he had indeed received the best sleep of anyone, anywhere, ever. Even nicer than those who were given great nights rest by magical means, such as potions of everlasting slumber, or by the Gentle Repose spell which though intended for the preservation of recently deceased bodies was once used by the Elf Glorian to aid refugees fleeing from Red Barronslemongers who slaughtered peasants mercilessly after they invaded the Massassappy province and thus had nightmares and difficulty sleeping thus convincing Glorian to reform her spell in order to give an untroubled night of sleep to those who made it to her family's land.

Bort carried out 1 launched of one d20 :
    Mr.Hero
    Mr.Hero
    Admin

Post  Mr.Hero Tue May 21, 2013 7:58 am

Sid wakes up and stretches
    My goodness, that was the best sleep I've ever had!

Spoiler:
    Bort
    Bort
    Admin

Post  Bort Tue May 21, 2013 12:22 pm

Sid is not completely sure of how long he slept. But he assumes it is some time in the early afternoon. In his well rested state he peers up at the ceiling and realizes just how unattractive it is. The world is your burrito. Where will you take your first bite?
    Mr.Hero
    Mr.Hero
    Admin

Post  Mr.Hero Tue May 21, 2013 12:30 pm

Sid gets out of bed and gathers his belongings. He walks out of the room and back to the front desk and turns in his key.
    thanks for the room, I must be on my way now. Fairwell!
    Sid leaves the inn and heads back to the main road. Once he returns to the main road he begins to travel south towards Bartopia while keeping watch for the eastern path on the map which will hopefully lead to his goal...
    Bort
    Bort
    Admin

Post  Bort Fri May 24, 2013 1:03 am

Sid continues down the path for a couple of miles. The weather is glorious in he Bartopia realm. The sun in still high in the sky and the green of the forest is a delight to any who can see it. After a few more miles Sid comes upon a dirt path on his left, leading east into the woods. The woods have already began to thin slightly here allowing sight down the path for a several paces. The path is a dirt trail and is much rougher and much more narrow than the extremely nice paved road leading towards Bartopia. Sitting beside the road in these afternoon hours is what appears to be a older man. He is sitting upright on the ground with his back against a tree. A small satchel sits beside him as he watches Sid approach his position. He does not speak immediately, but instead watches idly to see how this stranger will react to his presence.
    Mr.Hero
    Mr.Hero
    Admin

Post  Mr.Hero Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:18 am

Sid looks at the old man and approaches slowly and makes his way to the dirt trail
    Hello, how are you doing this fine afternoon good sir?
    Sid speaks in passing to the older gentleman and while he intends to continue walking down the path, he slows down to await a response from the stranger
    Bort
    Bort
    Admin

Post  Bort Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:18 am

Afternoon sir, would you care to help an old man? My son lives in Bartopia and if you would take this satchel to him I would be most grateful. The old man says while still sitting on the ground.
    Mr.Hero
    Mr.Hero
    Admin

Post  Mr.Hero Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:50 am

He stops and thinks for a moment and then settles on his decision.... the initiation into the subtle knife can wait a bit longer
    Sure old man, I'll deliver this satchel for you. Who should I take it too and where might I find him?
    Bort
    Bort
    Admin

Post  Bort Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:15 pm

Splendid! The old man replies.  So, Bartopia is basically separated into a few districts. In the north west of the city are all the rich folks, the southwest is the river. The Northeast has the guilds and some temples, the south and southeast are the slums.  The Castle is in the middle of town. Just South of the castle are the merchants, and east of the castle is the old garrison.  
    [Only admins are allowed to see this link]

My son lives in a small house in the Orientem fluminis.  Stay on the main road and travel past the Parioli, continuing all the way until you have nearly hit the slums.  Get off the main road and travel south towards the wall.  He is on the far eastern side of the River district.  My son's name is Dolus. His house is wooden with a splash of red paint.  If you get lost then you can ask around and someone can probably help you.  Thank you so much for this kind stranger. I like to keep the contents fresh so please do not open it.    The old man hands you an old leather satchel.
    Mr.Hero
    Mr.Hero
    Admin

Post  Mr.Hero Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:08 pm

Sounds simple enough! I'd best get going. And consider this satchel as good as delivered already!
    Sid starts walking away... he wants to be out of sight before he takes a peek at what he's delivering...
    Bort
    Bort
    Admin

Post  Bort Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:45 pm

You continue south a little ways. The old man is no longer in sight
    Mr.Hero
    Mr.Hero
    Admin

Post  Mr.Hero Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:16 pm

Well now that I'm out of sight, I believe I'm going to sneak a peek at what in delivering since that old man doesn't look like he'll be paying for my discretion...let alone the delivery itself! So what have we got here...

Sid opens the satchel...
    Bort
    Bort
    Admin

Post  Bort Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:31 pm

As Sid opens the package he is hit with a frighteningly strong aroma.

Spoiler:

Mr.Hero
    Mr.Hero
    Admin

Post  Mr.Hero Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:22 pm

Spoiler:
    Bort
    Bort
    Admin

Post  Bort Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:53 pm

Sid is knocked to the ground by the frighteningly strong aroma. He is overwhelmed with the urge and reaches his hand into the satchel. He pulls out the most delicious smelling meatpie he could imagine. The crust is perfectly browned, the filling is hot and can be seem bubbling around the edges of the crust. The smell is simply profound and amazing. It does not take a genius to see that this dish was crafted by the most brilliant of artisans. Also in the satchel are two carrots and a potato.
    Mr.Hero
    Mr.Hero
    Admin

Post  Mr.Hero Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:10 pm

Oh my that smells amazing! Sid's mouth begins to water and his stomach roars... I have to hurry and get this to it's destination before i eat it! Maybe the old man's son won't miss a little tiny piece... As Sid reaches under his cloak and takes out a kunai. He cuts out a small piece of the pie and bites into it...

Spoiler:
    Bort
    Bort
    Admin

Post  Bort Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:12 pm

The pie tastes delicious! It makes you feel great! But you don't feel infinitely stronger or especially clever after tasting it. But it is quite filling and you would certainly love the recipe.
    Mr.Hero
    Mr.Hero
    Admin

Post  Mr.Hero Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:15 pm

Wow! That pie tastes delicious! Well I guess I'm off to Bartopia now....

Sid continues walking down the road to Bartopia with high hopes and a strong desire to finish off the pie...
    Bort
    Bort
    Admin

Post  Bort Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:38 pm

Sid continues on the fine road towards Bartopia. Up ahead he can see the impending structure which is the city wall. The road is much busier now, as people travel outside the city. Small planted plots of land are in abundance. People travel west towards the river on worn paths for fishing. Large tents are set up for a market area where people peddle crops, fish, trinkets, and just about everything you can think of. A number of guards also patrol the area, though not dressed the same as the guards at the bridge. These guards wear lighter armor and carry bows, looking more like woodsman than your typical city guard.
    Bort
    Bort
    Admin

Post  Bort Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:50 pm

Many years have passed since Sid first headed towards Bartopia. The city walls have been extended and the town has grown quite substantially. The forest has been cut back in all directions much to the distaste of some of the Elven inhabitants. A large bridge has been constructed across the river shortening the trip to Moetown substantially. The market is merry and the people seem happy.
    Bort
    Bort
    Admin

Post  Bort Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:30 pm

Due to the many years that have passed Sid has rapidly aged. Luckily though, he doesn't appear to have starved to death even though he spent so many years right outside of Bartopia. That meat pie probably helped. Regardless, years can take a toll on the body. Sid may face steep penalties in some skill checks based on constitution, strength, and dexterity.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 16, 2024 9:28 am